Sunday, March 6, 2011

90s GRUNGE



I was talking with some of my friends about the return of 90’s grunge fashion. So, I started thinking about the first fashion images I encountered when I was growing up. I thought about the music and fashion of the early 90’s (1992-1995). From that time, I can reference a December ‘92 Vogue editorial with Naomi, Nadja, and Kristen wearing grunge outfits (Nirvana t-shirt and all). The images look so modern and inspirational it’s hard to imagine they were shot by Steven Meisel (styled by Grace Coddington) almost 20 years ago. My other favorite fashion images were the CK One ads from ’95. They were cool then and they are still cool now. And, let’s not forget Kurt Cobain wearing that thrift-shop looking sweater during his Unplugged. So, whether the grunge trend has passed or is coming back, designers like Richard Chai and Missoni seem to still be inspired by the movement now.


Richard Chai Love Fall 2011
Missoni Fall 2011

Photos from style.com

3 comments:

Erika Michel said...

Yeah, justin combat boots are totally hot right now... hitting mainstream soon :(

Following you <3

amy said...

Yes. Very cool. I love the severe hair cut- not that I could pull it off- but it makes such a rocking statement. if only I hadn't fallen for long locks, maybe I'd have more courage!*


hope to hear from you*
love amy ^.^
www.amyflyingakite.com

Kristin said...

Nostalgia! The photo with Nadja Auermann was from the first Vogue I ever bought. (She is my favorite model incidentally).

-Kristin