Thursday, April 7, 2011

BALENCIAGA IN SAN FRANCISCO




The de Young has become my favorite museum in the city (I just became a member), always bringing really great exhibits to San Francisco. This weekend I headed down to the De Young at Golden Gate Park to check out The "Balenciaga and Spain" exhibit curated by Hamish Bowles which featured 120 looks from museums and private collections. As a fashion admirer I must say I was so excited to check it out the art of Cristobal BalenciagaThe exhibit showcases the consistent connection Balenciaga had with Spanish culture while working in Paris.  Balenciaga used inspirations deeply prevalent in Spanish culture like bullfighting, dance, art and religion. The thing that really caught my eye was the modernity of his work, which at times was very space age. While looking at the pieces I kept thinking “how can a person create such interesting shapes with fabric”. If you are in town definitely check it out.

No comments: